Saturday, May 14, 2011

Just the Beginning!

While I am in the midst of earning a business degree from Indiana University's Kelley School of Business, in two weeks I will begin the most adventures, exciting, and independent summer of my life. Leaving home in Central California, I will meet up with my travel buddy, Mallory, in Washington D.C. before we hop over the Atlantic to our final destination of Uganda!

I will be interning with the Foundation for Sustainable Development (FSD), who has placed me with the Organisation for Rural Development (ORUDE) for the duration of my eleven week internship. Their mission is to promote and strengthen rural women’s savings and lending cooperatives through supporting enterprise and rights based development for improved livelihoods. Throughout my internship I will develop a project to help further their mission and write a grant proposal to help fund and implement my project.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Kelley Institute for Social Impact (KISI) for their support of my internship experience.

Academic and service work opportunities have allowed me to experience new cultures, ideas, and people while traveling in Chile, Germany, Italy, and Mexico, as well as throughout the United States. I am a big fan of finding takeaways from my experiences, and from my travels, one thing I have learned to be absolute: "Chance favors the prepared mind" -Louis Pasteur. So, I will be spending the next two weeks immersed in planning, packing and all the literature I can get my hands on!

I know Uganda will offer lots of adventures yet to be discovered, and I hope to capture them in pictures, stories, and blogging.

Next weeks blog: My Summer To Do/Don't list!

1 comment:

  1. i love your quote, Laura: "Chance favors the prepared mind." :) you are definitely one of the most well-planned/prepared persons i've ever known, so i'm sure you will have a prodigious amount of crazy-awesome excursions in Africa (which i look forward to reading about!)

    ReplyDelete