Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Its Okay

Life in Uganda is Okay. This common expression here might be below the enthusiasm level I wish to express, but I am adapting to these what? ...To these customs. I also want to express what I have seen and dilute uneducated perceptions of life in an African country (Of course stereotypes stem from some truths).

First, the concrete and tile floors, with cracks stained red from the ground, bring wonderful relief from the afternoon sun! Relief also comes from the cool tradition of wearing skirts, refrigerated boiled purified water, and a soft breeze coming across in the shade. Oh how I enjoy the shade. There is plenty of cover in this green environment. Plants and animals are hugely diverse. I have heard since arriving that Uganda has one of the most diverse bird populations in the world. I definitely believe that. There is one bird I am keeping an eye out. Well, it may be a confused monkey, but either way it's unique call has kept my eyes trained on the tree tops, above the red dusty roads.

While watching the scenery, I noticed the dust had migrated, and more leaves were red than green. I wish I could identify the types of trees for you, but I do know when I pass a banana tree. My home has a few banana trees, as well as many other luxuries amenities such as hot water and TV/DVDs, and we keep ample stock of matoke in the house. How blessed I feel to have been placed with the Mukisa family. They have hosted many interns and students from around the world and Uganda, and I enjoy talking with them about everyday life in Jinja, which often leads to laughter. There always seems to be someone at home, cooking, cleaning, holding baby Solomon, or watching old Spanish soaps.

In one week so much has become typical so quickly, comment your notions of life in Uganda, and I will do my best to continue reporting what I see and experience! So really comment, its okay.

1 comment:

  1. Hey you catch on fast! And YES I comPLETEly empathise with your need to express more enthusiasm when people enquire after your well being. Okay/fine/just fair/50:50/not so good, not so bad just does not cut the mustard!!!! Great blog btw :D

    ReplyDelete