Thursday, June 23, 2011

Top 20 Best Things About Uganda

Like Laura was saying earlier, it's shocking how the weeks have gone by - next week we will be going on our midterm retreat, and my program will be halfway done! I wanted to chronicle all the best things about Uganda (so far...).

  1. Friendly people
  2. Awesome weather and amazing, lush scenery
  3. Boda boda rides!
  4. Tea time + dubbed over Spanish soap operas = supreme happiness
  5. Coming home to your host family and being tackled by your host brothers/sisters
  6. Fresh fruit and vegetables - avocados, mangos, bananas, pineapples, passionfruits...
  7. Organic/nonprocessed food in general
  8. Street food! Chapati, rolex, samosas, pancakes...
  9. Sodas. A Stoney (spicy ginger ale) a day makes a happy Mallory.
  10. Awesome FSD interns
  11. Being so close to the Nile makes for great scenery and tourism opportunities!
  12. Our favorite hostel, Backpackers, has an awesome crowd of 20-somethings from the U.S. or the U.K. on weekends.
  13. Beer. Big beers. Good beers. My favorite is the Nile Special.
  14. Blue Band. It's this margarine spread from Unilever and it's sooooo good.
  15. Ugandan friends calling you to update them on where they are and what they're doing.
  16. Obama-fever. There are Obama tote bags, hair salons, belt buckles...
  17. National football matches! Vuvuzelas, anyone?
  18. Copies of your favorite movies and TV shows before they're even in the stores in the US....
  19. The Ugandan ice cream truck
  20. Chickens, goats, and cows running all over the place. I think I just really like farm animals...
  21. The markets in Bugembe and Jinja. So lively and so much good food.
  22. The touristy shops selling traditional crafts. It's all I can do to keep from buying them all!
  23. Ugandan fabrics. I bought a purse in Kampala that's made out of traditional Ugandan fabric, and it's my favorite thing.
I lied and went over my list! Definitely more good things to come, so I'll just keep this running for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment