Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Most Ugandan Day Ever


Yesterday, I went with my host mom to a traditional Ugandan engagement ceremony, called an "Introduction." The ceremony basically consists of the groom being presented to the bride's family, and then the groom presents gifts to the family. Common gifts are sugar, cows, goats, and hens, and other household items like a sofa and chairs. And everyone wears traditional Ugandan dress - called gomazi for women. And yes - I had to wear one!

It was very interesting watching the traditional ceremony, but a little boring because the speakers for each family only talked in Lusoga. The maternal aunties - which are the most important because they introduce the groom to the bride's family - all dance out in a colorful line with a bride. Then, the head maternal auntie dances around the guest tent to try and find the groom. Then she pulls him out by his hand and dances him around the ceremony to "show him off."
(The maternal aunties gather around the bride - center, in green - before the groom is found)

After that, the gifts are presented to the family. I had to dance in a line with the other guests with a basket of bread and butter on my head and present it in front of the family. Then the bride and group undergo the engagement ceremony, which is officiated by a pastor. The wedding rings are placed on the couple's middle finger instead of the ring finger. Afterwards, there's a gigantic clamor for food!

I actually got called out at the introduction and had to stand up and wave on a number of occasions. This was probably due to the fact I was the only white person at the ceremony! Afterwards, my mom told me we were going to go use the bathroom. "Oh, okay, where is it?" "That grove of banana trees." Have you ever tried to go to the bathroom in a gomazi?

Afterwards, we were driving home in the middle of the night, when our car broke down in a swamp. My mom hailed an open bed truck that was transporting crates of empty soda back to Bugembe (our town). So we clambered up in the truck (picture three women in long, formal gomazi dress) and sat on the crates and rode the entire way back to town this way.

Why do I say it was the most Ugandan day ever? It was filled with tradition (the introduction, gomazi) and randomness (peeing in a banana grove?). I feel like this is a good picture of life in Uganda - it's one that requires respect, flexibility, and a sense of humor!

I leave for America in less than a week, so I will try to post one more blog before I leave! This week, I'll be very busy getting my visa extended, buying souvenirs, and wrapping up my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment