Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Ugandan American Back in America?

As of today, I successfully navigated a 24-hour journey across the world back home to America! Stepping out into the airport at Washington, I have to admit that I got a bit of a culture shock. Everything in America is so shiny, expensive, and new looking. It's strange to see shops with clean floors and neatly organized shelving. Everyone is in a hurry and the customer service is a bit lacking here. And no one stopped to chat with me when I was sitting down for lunch! Also, I forgot that I didn't have to use bottled water to brush my teeth after I got off the plane...

When I was getting ready to leave, it occurred to me that I don't know how to be an American anymore. I DO know how to be an American in Uganda - I know how much a coaster to Jinja costs, I know how to get to Kampala and Iganga, I know how to hail a taxi and barter with a market woman. But right now, I can't really think about all the things I have to do now that I'm back home. Is my routine the same or has it changed? What are my friends and family going to be like? What will food taste like compared to what it tasted like before?

I guess I became a Ugandan-American when I was living in Jinja: and now I have to learn how to be a Ugandan-American back home in America.


No comments:

Post a Comment